Every day can’t be a grilled chicken and veggie day. Sometimes you need to allow yourself to indulge a bit, this crab and brie chowder being one of them. It has that great traditional chowder flavor you grew up eating with hearty roasted potatoes and rich, thick broth however in this version the sweet, delicate crab meat and the creamy brie cheese elevate the soup to a luxuriantly decadent level.
A bowl of this chowder will definitely warm you up on a cold day!
5 Yukon gold potatoes, finely diced
2 pounds Dungeness crab meat
1 large round of Brie cheese, rind removed
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1) Melt the butter in a deep soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onion, thyme salt and pepper, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes until the potatoes and onion begin to soften.
2) Gradually stir in the stock, and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
3) Add the cream, half and half, and the brie, and cook until the liquid reaches a low boil, and the cheese has melted.
4) Stir in the crabmeat and cook for 3 minutes until heated through. Season the soup with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
5) Serve the soup in bowls topped with buttery croutons and minced chives.
Optional blended preparation, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth before adding the crab.