These cookies always make me think of my oldest sister, Laurie, who also shares my love for cooking. She made these cookies for a family holiday dinner one year, and I recall how surprised I was at how light and airy they were. It was like eating a little after-dinner breath mint, whipped up in a fluffy white cloud!
If you’re looking for a fun, unique little cookie to add to your Christmas cookie tray, these would be perfect!
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
2/3 cup superfine granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy, about 2-3 minutes.
3) Incorporate the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy,1 minute more.
4) With the mixer on, gradually add the sugar.
5) Add the peppermint extract and continue beating until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is glossy.
6) Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe 1-inch rounds onto the parchment paper.
7) Place the baking sheets in the oven and then turn the oven off. Leave the cookies, undisturbed, in the oven until the oven is completely cooled, ideally overnight.
8) Serve at room temperature and store in an airtight container.