The holiday season is almost here, which means it’s time to start thinking about ways of showing your family and friends how much they mean to you. And what better way to do that than by giving them something you’ve made yourself?
Here’s a very simple recipe for making homemade coffee liqueur. It’s the perfect gift for the folks on your nice list who would enjoy adding it to their coffee, pouring it over their ice cream, or just slowly sipping it in front of a crackling fire.
Make this now, and it will ready in time for Christmas!
4 cups sugar
4 cups vodka
3 cups water
1 cup instant coffee
1 vanilla bean, cut and scraped
1) Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large pot until the sugar has dissolved.
2) Add the coffee and vanilla bean, and return to a boil, 5-8 minutes longer.
3) Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to cool thoroughly.
4) Stir in the vodka and transfer the mixture to a glass container with a lid. Seal the lid tight and store the container away from heat and direct light for a minimum of 4 weeks. The longer the mixture rests, the deeper the flavor will become.
5) To share, buy some decorative smaller glass bottles, and distribute the liqueur among the bottles. Then give a bottle to your family and friends. Make sure to keep at least one bottle for yourself!