Every time I make these coconut macaroons, I get rave reviews. There’s something about that cross between a cookie and a candy bar that makes them so addictive; you have to appreciate them for their simple, sweet, chewy goodness.
And speaking of simple, there are only seven ingredients, so your prep time is short and clean up is easy. The most difficult part is waiting for them to be ready to eat!
Be sure to use the bittersweet chocolate for this recipe and not just milk chocolate. The slight bitterness from the chocolate balances out the sweetness of the coconut and condensed milk.
14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
12 ounces sweetened condensed milk
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 egg whites
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla.
3) In a smaller mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and the salt with a hand mixer until firm peaks form.
4) Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
5) Drop tablespoon-sized mounds of the coconut mixture onto the parchment paper an inch apart. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cookies are firm and slightly browned.
6) Remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
7) When the cookies are cool, melt the chocolate over a double boiler and add the cream. Stir until smooth.
8) Dip the bottom of each cookie in the melted chocolate and return them to the parchment lined baking tray. Decorate the cookies with additional chocolate if desired.
9) Place the baking tray in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes until the chocolate is set.
10) Store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them.