This heart-healthy dish has become my summer go-to salad. It’s always a hit with company and rarely do I have leftovers afterwards. The cumin and lime juice in the marinade perfectly compliment the creamy black beans and chick peas; and brightens up the spicy red onion, the crisp bell peppers and the fresh sweet corn. Once you take a bite, it’s almost impossible to stop eating it!
I also love the beautiful colors. They really make the salad stand out, especially when you put it on the table next to all those boring mayonnaise based pasta salads, deviled eggs and dried out veggie trays and ranch dip. Bring this dish to your next gathering and I guarantee your friends will be asking you for the recipe!
2 ears of fresh sweet corn; optional 1 can sweet corn, rinsed
1 large vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
Juice of 2 limes
1) Place the un-shucked ears of corn in the oven and roast them for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
2) Transfer corn to a wire rack, cool slightly then remove the husks and silk. In a large bowl, slice the kernels off the cob and allow the corn to cool.
3) Place the next 7 ingredients in the bowl with the corn.
4) In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and lime juice together.
5) Pour the marinade over the vegetables and stir until thoroughly coated.
6) Serve the salad at room temperature or slightly chilled.