This recipe is my daughter’s second favorite pasta dish. In Italian, it’s called Fettuccine Aglio e Olio. In the United States, we call it Olive Oil and Garlic Fettuccine. It’s a simple yet very flavorful traditional dish comprised of garlic two ways; herb infused olive oil, fresh herbs, and tender cooked pasta. And if you have your prep done ahead of time, you can easily have this dish on the table in less than 30 minutes.
There is a fair amount of spice here between the Serrano pepper and the red chile flakes so scale up or down according to taste.
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb. fettuccini pasta
1 Serrano chile pepper, thinly sliced, seeds removed
1/2 cup basil-infused olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan alternative
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter alternative
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Zest from one lemon
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve one cup of the cooking liquid when you drain the pasta.
2) Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced garlic and cook for one minute or until the garlic slices are browned and crisp. Remove the garlic chips from the pan with a slotted spoon and set them aside in a small bowl.
3) Add the minced garlic and the Serrano peppers to the pan and cook until fragrant. Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan.
4) Incorporate the anchovy paste, lemon juice, butter alternative, half of the basil, half of the parsley, and reserved pasta water into the sauce. Bring it to a boil and cook 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
5) Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss well to coat.
6) To serve, transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl and sprinkle it with the remaining chopped fresh basil, fresh parsley, the red pepper flakes, vegan parmesan, garlic chips, and lemon zest. Serve hot.