Here’s one more chili recipe for the season, this time inspired by flavors of Mexico and just in time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. After slow cooking for hours, and filling the house with an amazing aroma, this chili is infused with smoky Mexican spices and the deep, slow roasted caramel malt notes from the beer. The addition of the sweet potatoes adds a healthy dose of vitamins B and C, plus their inherent sweetness balances the heat from the poblano peppers.
The chili itself is very hearty and filling; however, if you have a noodle-head at home as I do, the addition of the pasta works great here. Either way of serving, it’s sure to be a family favorite.
2 poblano peppers, seeded & diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 package thin spaghetti
1 large sweet potato, peeled & diced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne powder
2 tablespoons chili pepper
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 cups vegetable stock
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 box uncooked quinoa & brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 bottle dark Mexican beer
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1) Spray a large skillet with the vegetable spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, poblano peppers, and the turkey and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, breaking up the larger chunks of turkey with a spoon.
2) Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the turkey is no longer pink. Add a little of the vegetable stock if the pan becomes dry.
3) Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a large slow cooker and add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, quinoa & brown rice mix, sweet potatoes, black beans, and the beer. Stir to combine.
4) Cover the slow cooker and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4 to 5 hours until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Adjust any seasonings as needed.
5) Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
6) To serve, place a portion of the noodles in a bowl, followed by the chili and a pinch of the cilantro on top.