These delicious cookies fill your home with the smell of warm, rich spices while they bake, have all the classic flavors of gingerbread yet have a chewy, cake-like texture perfect for dunking in a glass of milk or eaten all by themselves. Not only are these cookies great during the Christmas holidays, the spiced clove flavor is perfect for Easter too!
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup molasses
4 tablespoons of softened, unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1) Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with Parchment paper.
2) Combine all the dry ingredients, except for the sugars, in a bowl.
3) Place the sugars and the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat the ingredients until fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and mix until combined.
4) Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat at low speed until the ingredients are combined.
5) Pinch off about 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Place the dough ball on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough placing the balls an inch apart. Slightly flatten the dough balls then sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar on top.
6) Bake the cookies in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re set but not browned, which will ensure the cookies are soft and chewy. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool thoroughly before storing them in airtight containers.