Here’s a spicy little appetizer to serve your Valentine this week, and they have everything you want in a dumpling. The tender, chewy wontons filled with tender pork, spicy habanero pepper, fresh ginger, green onion, and just a touch of sesame oil burst with flavor.
You think a box of chocolates is addictive? Wait until you try these.
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, minced
2 tablespoons habanero pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 package Wonton wrappers
1) Combine the onions through the black pepper in a mixing bowl.
2) Lay the wonton wrappers, two at a time, on a flat surface and using your fingertip, slightly dampen all four edges with water.
3) Spoon a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each wonton wrapper. Bring the opposite corners of the wrapper up over the center of the filling and pinch the edges shut forming a seal. Repeat this step until all the wrappers have been filled.
4) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly, so it’s just below a boil but not a simmer.
5) Gently add the wontons to the pot in batches to avoid the dumplings sticking to each other and from dropping the temperature of the water. The dumplings should float, not stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
6) Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon and place them on a serving platter. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.