This galette is the perfect summer supper when squash is in abundance and you want something light and easy to prepare. The bright lemon zest in the ricotta filling has just the right level of acidity to compliment the savory, creamy cheese and the sweet, golden, flaky pie crust.
I’ve served this as main course along with a salad for my vegetarian friends, or as the side dish to accompany a filet of grilled salmon or chicken for my fellow meat-eaters. It get’s rave reviews both ways!
1 pre-made refrigerated pie crust
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly in rounds
1 small yellow squash, sliced thinly in rounds
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill fronds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Zest from one lemon
Olive oil for drizzling
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil in a bowl.
3) Place a large piece of Parchment paper on a flat surface and unroll the pie crust dough in the center of the paper. Cover the dough with a piece of wax paper and roll the dough to ½ inch thick.
4) Remove the wax paper and transfer the Parchment paper to a baking stone, dough side up.
5) Spread the ricotta filling on top of the dough, leaving about an inch circle border all around.
6) Layer the zucchini and squash in a decorative pattern, overlapping slightly until the entire surface is covered with the squash.
7) Drizzle the olive oil over the squash and season with salt and pepper.
8) Gently fold the edges of the dough border over the closest layer of the squash, pinching the edges as needed. Brush the entire crust with the egg/water mixture.
9) Transfer the baking stone to the oven and bake the galette for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crust has reached the level of golden brown you prefer.
10) Remove the stone from the oven, sprinkle the galette with fresh dill, slice and serve warm.