Savory jams are great as an appetizer, and adding a thick, rich layer of your favorite cream cheese turns an ordinary piece of toasted bread into a delectable bite.
I first made this jam for Thanksgiving, but everyone enjoyed it so much, I made it again to give as gifts to my friends at Christmas. The sweet components of the roasted garlic, onions and brown sugar perfectly balance the acid from the vinegar and the heat in the chili flakes.
This jam also tastes great on a burger or your favorite sandwich!
1 large head garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
4 sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegan butter
3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cut the top third of the head of garlic, exposing the flesh of the cloves.
3) Place the garlic on a square of aluminum foil 2-inches larger than the diameter of the head. Drizzle the head with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
4) Close the edges of the foil around the garlic, creating a pouch to seal out any air.
5) Place the pouch in the oven and roast for 1 hour until tender.
6) Remove the pouch from the oven, open the foil and allow the garlic to cool.
7) Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
8) Add the onions to the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the onions are soft and they start to caramelize. Season the onions with salt and pepper.
9) Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the garlic head and roughly chop. Stir the garlic into the pan with the onions and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
10) Add the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
11) Remove the pan from the heat and let the jam cool.
12) Serve the jam warm on toasted bread with cream cheese.